Thursday, June 23, 2011

Maw Maw Kitty's Blueberry Pie



I wasn't the one to name my grandparents, my older brother did the honors.  Some how he chose Maw Maw & Ging Ging Kitty, and wouldn't you know they had a cat.  Since then Maw Maw Kitty has always had a kitty.  When your name has the word Kitty in it, you most certainly should always have a cat!  


She is one of the most sweet, gentle, loving, sophisticated, down to earth, and silly woman that I know.  She always is so well put together even when she is going to Home Depot.  The other day I complimented her on the top she was wearing, she told me she got it at Zara!  Does anybody else have an 84 year old granny that shops at Zara?  Most people find it very strange when I tell them that I borrow clothes from my grandmother...but when you see her you would understand.  At my brother's wedding you could have caught on the dance floor getting down to the Black Eyed Peas! 


Back to cooking...Maw Maw Kitty has been the cooking teacher to my mother, aunt, and I.  Hands down my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving only because of the feast that we prepare.  It's all recipes from my grandmother and her mother.  I'll of course post those around Thanksgiving!  


This Blueberry Pie is soooooo easy you can put it together in 5 minutes and my friends are always so impressed!  


Maw Maw Kitty's Blueberry Pie
5 c  fresh washed blueberries
1 tbl  fresh lemon juice
15 oz  pie crust (package of 2 crusts)
1 c  sugar (plus a little extra to sprinkle on crust top)
1/3 c  flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp  cinnamon
2 tbl  butter


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix berries and lemon juice in a small bowl.  Let sit while you combine the rest.  In separate bowl sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon.  Mix berries into dry ingredients gently.  Pour mixture into pie crust.  Use the second crust for the top -- cut into 1/2 strips and lay in a lattice pattern.  Place small chunks of butter around the top.  Sprinkle crust with sugar.  Bake for 30-45.  



*Don't judge me on the appearance of my pie!  My husband took a knife to it before I could get a pretty picture.  The best foods don't always look it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment