Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pesto Pasta Salad



When we were living in Dallas 4 years ago, the hubby's favorite lunch spot was TABC in Uptown.  Once we moved up here he always asked me to make his favorite pasta salad from TABC.  Me, never having tried it or never really wanting to (it never sounded that great to me),  attempted to make it.  And according to Chase he says it's just as good -- maybe he's just being nice, but it still tastes pretty darn good whether or not it's the exact same.  Now I think I crave it more than he does!


It's such an easy weeknight dinner.  Most of it you can make ahead and pull out the night you need it.  Or if your hubbs works a ton like mine, this is the best meal for one.  I can eat off this one recipe a few times in a week.  Many times I'll make the pesto and grill the chicken breasts ahead of time then all I have to do is boil some pasta for that night.




Pesto Pasta Salad


Pesto
3 c  basil leaves, washed
3 tbl  grated parmesan cheese
1 tbl  fresh lemon juice
1 tbl  toasted pine nuts
1 tsp  kosher salt
1/2 tsp  ground black pepper
1 clove of minced garlic


Use a food processor to blend together.
I make my pesto according to taste.  Taste along the way and add more to perfect your own.


Pasta Salad
1 lb  shredded or chopped grilled chicken breast
3/4 c  pesto
spring salad mix
olive & oil dressing (Paul Newman's is my fav)
parmesan cheese
fusilli or rotini pasta


Combine pasta with pesto sauce.  Set aside.  Toss spring mix with dressing and chicken.  To prepare plates, place dressed salad and chicken on plate, then set pesto pasta a top salad.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment